Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Lone

I am alone. I live in a world populated by me and a large number of faceless and nameless people.
I've lived in this neighborhood for over 6 years now and I know the name of only one of my neighbors and he doesn't remember mine. The others I couldn't pick out of a lineup. I know their cars better than their faces.
I have no friends. I have come to the conclusion that I have some sort of major personality defect. People will say they are my friend, but unless I do 100% of the work to maintain it, they easily drift off. I've given up in that area.
The wife and I tolerate each other but thats about it.
I've never been particularly close to my family. Sometimes I'll see them frequently for a week or so, then get the feeling they are tiring of me. Once I stop making contact, it can be months before I speak with them again and more often than not, I am the one initiating contact.
As a result, I am delving deeper into my own world. If  I get an idea or form an opinion about something, there is no one to tell me I am being irrational or stupid. As far as I know, I am the most brilliant and rational person on the face of the earth.
I I I I I I ...me me me me me...thats my world. Which came first, the selfish/boorish or the isolation?

I seem to be on a path to be the person that lives in a small house set way off the road on a heavily wooded lot with the giant Keep Out sign at the end of the driveway and the No Trespassing signs posted every few feet. I'll be the one that dies and nobody notices for months. My body will be discovered after someone notices piles of junk mail spilling out of the mailbox for the past month.

Time to dig the happy face out of the closet and go to work....

No comments:

Post a Comment